Labour rejects FG’s N48, 000 minimum wage proposal

Spread the love

Organised Labour has rejected the N48,000 proposed by the Federal Government as minimum wage for public service workers.
The government’s position was presented to labour at the resumed tripartite committee meeting on Wednesday.

In protest, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) walked out of the meeting, which held virtually.

In a joint statement read to reporters by President of the NLC, Joe Ajaero and Deputy President of the TUC, Comrade Tommy Okon, the two labour centres said the wage proposal by the government was “not just a mockery but an insult to workers dignity.”

Okon said the President Bola Tinubu-led government was not serious about giving workers a living wage.

“What the government has presented to us is wage reduction. This government is not serious about giving workers a living wage,” the TUC deputy president said.

Tinubu on May Day promised workers a living wage, assuring their days of waiting for a living wage were over.

NLC and TUC proposed N615,000 as minimum wage, citing the high cost of living as the yardstick for the proposal.

During Wednesday’s meeting, the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA), which had earlier declared that the least worker in the private sector was paid N78,000, presented N54,000 as the new minimum wage.

As of the time of filing this report, the NLC and TUC have called for an emergency press briefing to present the Federal Government’s proposal at the meeting to pay workers the minimum wage and their next line of action.

President Tinubu, through Vice President, Kashim Shettima, on January 30, 2024 inaugurated the 37-member tripartite committee to come up with a new minimum wage.

Leave a Reply