Gunmen open fire on Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo

Spread the love

By Daily Review Online

Suspected political thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after he received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Adeleke had earlier visited the INEC office in Osogbo, where he was presented with the certificate following his victory in the August 15 governorship election.

After the ceremony, the governor proceeded to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, arriving at about 3:15 p.m.

The suspected attackers were said to have arrived in an unregistered Toyota Sienna bus and positioned themselves around the area while Adeleke was at the monarch’s palace.

According to sources, security personnel attached to the governor noticed suspicious movements around the area as Adeleke prepared to leave after concluding his visit.

The governor was reportedly advised to use another exit from the palace as a security precaution.

Shortly after Adeleke entered his official vehicle, the suspected hoodlums allegedly opened fire, causing panic in the area.

Security personnel attached to the governor’s convoy immediately responded, leading to an exchange of gunfire that lasted several minutes.

The attackers reportedly fled after they were overpowered by the governor’s security details.

The incident caused tension around the palace and temporarily disrupted movement in the area.

Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack, saying the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants.

Alimi said no casualty was recorded in the incident.

The attack occurred just hours after Adeleke formally received his Certificate of Return from INEC, marking his return as governor following his victory in the recent governorship election.

Leave a Reply