Politics

Fresh $2.5bn Arms Scandal: Buhari Presidency, APC stink- PDP

By Ihechi Enyinnaya

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Thursday said the revelation of another $2.5bn arms purchase scandal in which officials of the Mohammadu Buhari-led All Progressives Congress (APC) administration were named is another ugly testament of the stench of corruption oozing out from the Buhari Presidency and the APC, as a party.

In a statement by Kola Ologbondiyan, National Publicity Secretary, the party said with this fresh $2.5 billion arms scandal, reportedly involving the National Security Adviser (NSA) Gen. Babagana Monguno, who had earlier revealed that $1 billion also for arms cannot be traced, an alarming $3.5 billion (N1.3 trillion) meant for purchase of weapons to secure our country under the Buhari administration has
been looted.

The PDP stressed that the exposed barefaced contract scam in the $2.5
billion scandal as well as the outright disappearance of the $1billion
as earlier revealed by the NSA, show the level of corruption and
unscrupulousness among APC leaders and their agents, who are stealing
funds meant for arms while our citizens are daily marauded, pillaged and
murdered by terrorists, bandits and kidnappers.

It said: “In fact, the unending exposure of sleaze in the security architecture of the Buhari-led administration has further heightened apprehensions in the public space that the security situation has been turned into a huge racket for corrupt enrichment of sneaky APC leaders and the cabal in the Buhari Presidency.

“It is more distressing that instead of standing on the side of the
people to demand for a clean-up of the system and recovery of the stolen funds, the APC, as a party, is rather desperate to justify acts of corruption, because its leaders and officials of its government are
involved.

“Our party demands that the Buhari Presidency should come clean and offer explanations on both the $2.5 billion and $1 billion.

“Furthermore, the PDP restates its call to the National Assembly to
conduct a joint open inquest into the funds and other monies drawn
purportedly for the security of our nation under President Muhammadu
Buhari’s watch.”

Related Articles

Close