Jonathan describes Guinea-Bissau takeover as ‘Ceremonial Coup’

Spread the love

By Our Reporter

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has downplayed the recent military takeover in Guinea-Bissau, describing it as “maybe a ceremonial coup” rather than a full military overthrow.

Gunfire was reported around key government buildings on Wednesday after soldiers claimed to have taken control of the country. President Umaro Sissoco Embaló later said he had been arrested in his office, prompting a curfew, border closures and the detention of top officials.

Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as head of the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission, was evacuated safely by a special flight arranged by the Nigerian government.

Speaking in an interview on Friday, he said the situation was unusual, noting that Embaló publicly announced his own arrest even before the military made a statement.

Jonathan said the incident did not resemble a typical coup in West Africa, where detained leaders are usually cut off from communication.

He urged ECOWAS and the African Union to compel authorities in Guinea-Bissau to announce the results of the November elections without delay, stressing that military involvement in the electoral process is unacceptable.

Jonathan also recalled his experience handling the 2010 Ivorian election crisis as ECOWAS Chair, emphasizing that democratic outcomes must always be respected.

Leave a Reply